Six girl members of Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast, all students in the Kettle Moraine School District, competed at the December 8 FIRST ® LEGO® League “Senior Solutions™” Challenge State Competition held at Mukwonago High School.
Applying research and robotics to explore improving quality of life for seniors, Rachel Czestler, Sarah Kenton, Kaitlin Kotvis, Maile Riedel, Kate Riordan, and Lilly Scholtka, also known as the Einsteinbots Team, were among the twenty-six girl members of Girl Scouts Wisconsin Southeast that competed on four separate teams incorporating creativity and science to help seniors stay independent, engaged and connected.
The Girl Scouts, with support from coaches Linda Czestler, Tom Kenton, Mary Riordan, and Ray Scolavino, researched one of today’s most relevant topics: aging, and how to counter the effects of aging while maintaining a good quality of life. With missions including mobility, flexibility, balance, and memory, the teams programmed their LEGO MINDSTORMS® robots to further explore these issues.
Sponsored by Time Warner Cable Wisconsin, the Einsteinbots were among the 230 teams in the state of Wisconsin that competed in one of eight regional tournaments and the 59 teams that earned the right to advance to the State Tournament this year.
Participation in the FLL is just one of many ways Girl Scouts introduces girls of every age to science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities that are relevant to everyday life. Whether they're discovering how a car's engine runs, becoming math whizzes, or learning about careers in STEM fields, girls are moving forward into the future. They can design Web sites, plan for space exploration, visit geological sites and more.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local student leads project to Can Hunger in Waukesha County
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Holy Apostles Fish Fry
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- Winners of the 47th annual Waukesha County Courthouse Purchase Award Art Contest
- CARE WISCONSIN WAUKESHA OFFICE RELOCATING TO FIRST FLOOR OF CURRENT BUILDING
- School Board President Jim Schaefer announces he won't seek re-election
- Fill your stockings with the gift of Parks and Golf
- Giving Tuesday – Share How You Help Others Or How You’ve Been Helped
- IKE CHEERLEADER'S HOLIDAY YOUTH CHEER CLINIC