This year, several parents pulled together separate chess programs from Mill Valley, Lake Denoon and Muskego High School, to form what is known as the Muskego Scholastic Chess Club.
The Muskego Scholastic Chess Club (or MSCC) is a volunteer-run organization that exists to bring the game of chess to kids who attend Muskego-Norway schools.
This program meets weekly, Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm at Muskego High School in the cafeteria. Over 100 kids from 8 schools actively participate in the program which is run by parents Mark Seghers, Dan Schantz and Dan Gomoll, with assistance from Matt Schladweiler and the International Academy of Chess and many other parents who help with fundraising and other activities. The MSCC is self-funded and free to MNSD students.
Muskego has an 8 year history of scholastic chess, started in 2005 by Greg Reese at Mill Valley Elementary. The team of Evan & Reid Seghers, Jorin McGuire and Chris Tillson won the K-3 national championship that year, and today are all part of the Muskego High School team that won its conference last year. Muskego has won many first place trophies and two state championships since then, and another 2nd place national championship, receiving an award from the City of Muskego in 2010.
The MSCC has a web site at http://muskegochess.blogspot.com. For questions about the MSCC, please contact Mark Seghers via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- CTV Easter Week Services
- Community Blood Drive Hosted by Christ the King Church of Delafield
- Waukesha BluesFest Announces 2014 Entertainment Line-up - Tickets on Sale Tues., April 15
- Christ the King Presents Good Friday Cantata; Easter Services Announced
- St. Clare Street Fair
- Muskego Open Swim, Pool Rentals, & Swim Lessons!
- April 26 Auction in Eagle to Benefit Black Point Estate, Lake Geneva
- Solo Performers Bring Home the Gold
- Dulcie Schupe, Watercolor Artist at Tudor Oaks