It's often a thankless job, done behind the scenes.
However school custodians keep the lights on, the heat running and the entire building safe. And Building and Grounds Supervisor/Safety Coordinator Jeremiah Johnson is making sure that the job does not stay thankless.
This year, Frank Bieniewski, who works at Mill Valley, was given the honor of Custodian of the Year, an award that is fairly new in the district.
"We have our Compass Award winners and I wasn't sure we wanted to go that route," Johnson said. "However, I know the hard work that these people do is unseen to many, and it's vital to the operation and safety of the school."
Bienewski was chosen among 40 custodians throughout the district, who also helped develop the criteria for the award last year. His involvement in improving the school over the past year meant that Mill Valley led the district in energy cost avoidance at nearly 44 percent, and in the amount of jobs that were completed.
"He's been extremely dependable, and handy to the point that many of the things we would normally have to hire an outside contractor to do he handled himself," Johnson explained.
Bienewski was also the first custodian to voluntarily participate in a school safety team, which regularly inspects the building for security issues. He was nominated by his principal, teachers, custodians, and aides in a district that he has worked for since 1980.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Marching Band Competition at New Berlin Eisenhower High School
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held on September 26th at Greenfield Park
- Callen Staffer Earns National Certification Designation
- Mike Thompson, New Berlin Resident, Joins ActionCOACH Business Coaching as Certified Business Coach
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive
- Great local cuisine and a Waterbugs Ski Show
- Aimee Berg's Brain Tumors
- Quincy University's Rachael Binash garners All Academic Honors in Volleyball
- Cyclists Will Ride Toward a World Free of MS at Bike MS: TOYOTA Best Dam Bike Tour
- Free thing to do at Franklin's 4th of July Civic Celebration