Local first responders encourage summer blood donation
Milwaukee, Wis. — June 2, 2014 — BloodCenter of Wisconsin is launching a summer blood donation effort —You to the Rescue — beginning Wednesday, June 11. First responders including police officers, fire fighters and paramedics, are partnering with BloodCenter to help raise awareness of the critical need for blood donations during the summer months.
Summer is the time when first responders, like Flight For Life Paramedic Rich David, EMT-P, count on blood donors to help trauma patients. There is an especially great need for O-negative blood.
“BloodCenter’s donations go down during the summer,” said David. “Unfortunately, that’s when we need blood the most.”
David explained that paramedics like him work in concert with fellow community partners to come to the aid of individuals in life-threatening situations.
“People call us heroes all the time, but we can’t do it alone. BloodCenter gives us blood, and we save lives.”
David shares more in this video about BloodCenter’s partnership with Flight For Life.
You can come to the rescue
First responders like David need you to come to the rescue this summer by donating blood. BloodCenter is asking donors to help reach a goal of 300 appointments by end of day on June 11 across all of its community blood drives and donor centers, with an ultimate goal of seeing 1,500 additional blood donors between June 11 and August 31.
Donors are asked to schedule an appointment by calling 1-877-BE-A-HERO (1-877-232-4376), visiting www.bcw.edu or m.bcw.edu on their mobile device. Appointments are preferred to ensure a quick and convenient donation, but walk-in donors are also welcome. For donor center locations, visit www.bcw.edu/locations.
Anyone 16 or older who is in general good health and meets eligibility requirements is encouraged to donate blood. Parental consent is required for 16-year-olds to donate. The entire process takes about an hour. Donors should bring a photo ID that includes birth date.
About BloodCenter of Wisconsin
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in blood services, organ, tissue and marrow donation, diagnostic testing, medical services and leading-edge research. BloodCenter of Wisconsin is the only provider of blood to hospitals in 29 Wisconsin counties as well as providing support to hospitals and patients across the country. BloodCenter of Wisconsin advances patient care by delivering life-saving solutions grounded in unparalleled medical and scientific expertise. For more information, visit www.bcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hinkel Inc. becomes wholly owned subsidiary of Inpro
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Latest Developments in Alzheimer's Research
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Village Playhouse presents
- Heritage Presbyterian Church 5th Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Success in School Is Happening Online at Wauwatosa Virtual Academy
- Expert Plumbers Advise Homeowners to Monitor Sump Pump during Weather Warm Up
- Pancake Breakfast & Easter Egg Hunt
- CCT performs "POWER: A Children’s Musical About God’s Strength in Us" this weekend and next