Prevent Blindness Wisconsin announced the selection of four year old Grant Grassl as the 2009 Preschool Vision Screening Ambassador at its annual meeting on May 21st. Grant lives in New Berlin with his parents Dawn & James Grassl and his brother Trey. Prevent Blindness Wisconsin’s New Berlin Volunteers screened Grant at Blessed Savior Lutheran Early Childhood Center. When Grant did not pass the vision screening his parents immediately took him to see Dr. Maria Patterson who diagnosed Grant with amblyopia.
Amblyopia is loss of vision in one eye which may occur during a child’s development. The weak eye sends a blurry or different image to the brain. The brain “switches off” that eye and only uses the strong eye. If amblyopia is not treated early enough it can cause permanent loss of sight in the affected eye.
The ambassador exemplifies the many children whose vision is helped through this valuable community service and symbolizes the importance of early treatment of children’s vision problems. Grant and his family will make several appearances at fundraising and community events in the coming months to share their experience.
On June 24th Grant will lead the Light the Night for Sight Walk & Picnic at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Light the Night for Sight Walk & Picnic supports the free programs and services of Prevent Blindness Wisconsin, the only non-profit organization in the state dedicated exclusively to saving sight and preventing blindness.
For over 50 years, Prevent Blindness Wisconsin has pursued its mission to prevent blindness and preserve sight. The agency provides free vision screenings to preschool children, school age children, and adults. It also provides public and professional education in vision health, safety, and vision loss prevention.
For more information about Prevent Blindness Wisconsin or the Light the Night for Sight Walk & Picnic call 414-765-0505 or visit preventblindness.org/wi.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MWC Scholarship Winners
- Muskego Open Swim, Pool Rentals, & Swim Lessons!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- GRAEF ENGINEER, PROJECT HONORED BY APWA
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Results of 2015 Rummage Sale
- Callen Completes Window and Patio Door Installation for Infinity® Windows and Doors Sweepstakes Winner
- Feast of the Sacred Heart Celebration
- Ross Dental Now Open In New Berlin