THE CRANE FAMILY – STILL ENJOYING RETIREMENT LIVING
MUSKEGO, WI: A couple of years ago Mr. and Mrs. Crane flew over Tudor Oaks Retirement Community and decided it looked like a nice place to call home and raise a family. The proud Sand Hill Crane parents along with their “colt” have enjoyed the 110 picturesque acres from early spring until the first snow falls in November. Residents have heard them engage in “unison calling”. They stand close together, calling in a synchronized and complex duet. The female makes two calls for every single of call of the male.
Mated pairs stay together year round and migrate south as a group with their offspring. The large six to eight foot wing span makes them a skilled soaring bird similar in style to hawks and eagles. Utilizing thermals (air) to obtain lift, they can stay aloft for hours, requiring only occasional flapping of their wings and consequently expending little energy on their way to locations like New Mexico. Soon, the Crane family will affectionately be known as “snow birds” as they leave Tudor Oaks Retirement Community and fly south for the winter until their return in early spring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tim O’Brien Homes Goes for The Green at 2014 Parade Of Homes
- KIDS From Wisconsin to rock New Berlin West High School Aug. 22
- St. Joe's FunFest
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Muskego Lions Proud to Announce New Officers
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show to Feature Clothing, Home Improvement Products
- Car Seat and Booster Safety Check
- Get Back 2 School 4 a G8 Deal!
- Fall into Free Fab Skincare!
- 2015 U14 Wisconsin Warriors Baseball Tryouts!!