Blessed Savior Lutheran Church, http://blessedsaviorwi.org/, was officially organized in 1960, at a meeting of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, South Wisconsin District, in Elm Grove Lutheran Church. This new mission congregation began with 13 families and the first service was on July 13, 1960. The Reverend Bernard O. Raabe, then Mission Executive of the South Wisconsin District, preached at that first service.
The Rev. Robert A. Schmidt was called to serve as our first Pastor. Church services were held in the old Calhoun Hall each Sunday morning. While members arrived for worship, some were asked to help clean the hall of beer cups, ash trays and wedding decorations from the previous night’s festivities. Groundbreaking ceremonies for a new church facility were held in April of 1962, at 15250 W. Cleveland Avenue. In December of that year, our new church building was dedicated.
Pastor Schmidt served the congregation until 1972. The Reverend Wallace C. Oswald served as our second Pastor from 1973 until his retirement in 1995. The Rev. Dr. Timm L. Griffin accepted our call to serve as Pastor in 1996, and served until 2003. The Rev. Martinho Q. Sander was installed as Pastor in 2003, the position he currently holds.
A Preschool for 3 and 4 year olds was begun in September, 1990 under the direction of Dr. Candyce Seider. Twenty four children were enrolled that year. In 1997, Extended Care facilities were added. Today, our Early Childhood Center serves about 100 children in preschool classes, extended care programs and special summer programs: http://blessedsaviorecc.org/ .
The church building was expanded in 1974, adding an Education and Fellowship Center to the building, and again in 1996 when the church completed a larger Fellowship Hall, new office facilities, addition classrooms for Sunday School and the Early Childhood Center, and a larger Sanctuary.
God has blessed the people of Blessed Savior Lutheran Church. As we celebrate 50 years of God’s Blessings, we look forward to many more years of sharing HIS STORY. Service times are Sunday mornings at 8:00 and 10:30 AM and Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Refuse To Be A Victim ® Seminar to be Presented in Muskego
- Independence Day Activities in Waukesha
- Rotary Club’s watermelon slices quench thirst, benefit community
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Enhance Your Home’s Exterior With Tips From Callen
- State Farm Welcomes New Agent Jason Aexel to Muskego
- Marching Band Competition at New Berlin Eisenhower High School
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held on September 26th at Greenfield Park
- Callen Staffer Earns National Certification Designation
- Mike Thompson, New Berlin Resident, Joins ActionCOACH Business Coaching as Certified Business Coach